Sunday, August 13, 2006

My China Experience 5


I am in need of a fresh supply of business cards. I was thinking of getting some for my photography as well as some for my teaching job here. I designed one for the teaching, and had a good idea for the photography ones too. Bob in Orlando has been making my cards for years now, but he is a little far away and shipping would be a killer. Soooooooooo I decided to search for a local print shop here and see what we can do. It took one phone call to realize there was a very small one right across the street from me. I grabbed all I needed on a CD and headed their way. With a real language barrier, I knew this was going to be a chore. The print shop was rather small and minimally outfitted. One woman was there eating and half asleep. I entered and started to try to get her to understand what I needed. After a few minutes we started to click, more or less. She was getting the card together nicely. I was thinking, why not print a 2 sided card photography on one side and teaching on the other? It sounded good to me. Which ever one I needed to hand out at that moment would automatically advertise for the other one. I was getting her to understand, then she told me they do 1 sided only. She called out to someone and a man appeared. I found out he was the owner of this establishment. He finished up on the photography side of the card, and asked for my approval. The cards he printed there were all either on perforated sheets of cards you buy in Office Depot or on photo paper, neither of which was appealing to me. We start to talk, bargain, bicker, etc. Now he shows me a good card, heavy, glossy, nice feel. He also says he can do two sided 4 color too, just not today. Two days he says. That is not a big deal, we just have to talk money, I mean yuan, now. He says 500, 2 sided, 4 color will run 50. My brain has a small derailment and is thinking dollars. I say it’s too high. I was paying $65 for 500 one sided, 4 color. I counter offer 45. he says no way, it must be 50 yuan. The light comes on….yuan, not dollars. 50 yuan is $6.25. He writes another offer down. He says 40 yuan per 500 if I order 1000. Hmmm…80 yuan ($10.00) for all 1000. That would run easily $150-$200 stateside. I accept his offer. I’ll be back in 2 days.

Well, 2 days are up. I picked up my new business cards today and they look very good. I’m pleased. I told my friend Bob in Florida about the quality and the price and he immediately wants to know if this guy will ship to USA. Bob is always looking for a great deal. Maybe this is for him. I’ll speak to the printer here in a day or so when I can get a bilingual friend to help me. Hang in there Bob, I won’t forget you. The cards was the semi-last thing I did in my day. Let me start a bit farther back. I had a few dollars left that I needed to change into Yuan. I have an account at Bank of China, sooo that’s where I went. The branch I opened my account at had refused to convert my last $100 bill because it was torn and scotch taped. They looked it over for at least 3 minutes, moving up the chain of command 3 notches. At the end, it was a NO. I was told I would have to go to the bigger branch near the east gate on my campus. It’s a big campus, but here goes, I’m on my way. This is the first time I’ve seen the campus with so many people on it. It was empty until the last few days, now more and more are arriving daily. The weather was good, it was a little cooler this morning, so I’m walking. I took quite a few pictures of the campus today. I can’t name the buildings yet, but as I can, I’ll come back and add the names here. The tennis courts had a number of people taking a class it appeared. As I walked a bit more the scenes were very pleasant. Arching trees lining one part of the roadway. I see an archway of some greenery so I go take a look. It’s a very nice little park. As I walk through I see students reading, some talking, there is a boy and girl holding hands as they study. Very nice. A little farther up the road, there is an intersection ahead. I see a place that appears to be for posting University news and events, maybe grades and other information. It’s pretty big, maybe 6 feet tall and 20 feet long. I see one of the same, on each of the four corners of this intersection. A few students are reading from each one. Taking a right turn at the corner, I see what appears to be the main East Gate of the University. A very nice looking entrance. A collapsible/expandable gate to open or close the gate to all traffic at a moments notice. Two security guards seated at a table outside the guard building, both very observant and a big smile from each. Out the gate and take a right I was told. I walk not too far and I see Bank of China ahead, a much bigger one. When I walk into a building like this, everyone stops whatever they are doing and stare. Many clear a path for me as if I were on fire like Richard Pryor was that time he combusted while freebasing drugs. I give them my passport, I give them my bank book, and the procedure begins again. Teller one looks it over and his keen eye spots the tear I was trying to hide, so he refuses to take it and passes it to his supervisor. Now she looks it over end to end. Up to the light twice, used that special money checking pen on it and I swear, I think she even smelled it. The tear was scotch taped, so she refuses for the whole bank. Now they tell me I have to go to the main branch. I thought I was at the main…..wrong. I’m told out the door, turn right and I can’t miss it. Uh huh, I’ve heard that one before. Now I know I told you it was a little cooler this morning, but I meant a little. It’s getting warmer and the sweat is starting to accumulate. I know I’m walking more then I ever did, but I’m only here two weeks now and I’m still in pretty bad shape. Another 3/8 mile or so and here it comes. I mean I can see the bank, and the sweat is worse. I walk in here and the teller and I start what I have affectionately named “The China Two-Step”. Two more tellers looked it over and I swear I saw the janitor even make a comment, but it was finally approved. With my new funny money in hand I leave. Now it’s later and I want breakfast. I remembered my friend Ashley’s place with Pizza and breakfast. She told me breakfast any time. I hail a cab and I’m off, well almost. I dig through my emergency business card file in my shirt pocket for her card to show him the address. It’s in Chinese of course. The driver looks at the card and asked ME if this was the address. It’s in Chinese folks. That’s his language. I nod my head hoping I’m right and NOW we are off. A few minutes later we arrive at the restaurant. My new friend (pong yo) Jane is there to open the door and greet me with a big smile. Here comes the owner Ashley to say hi too. I ordered a star bucks coffee and a nice breakfast. The breakfast was 22 rmb, but the coffee was 35, that’s for one cup, no refills. A good meal and great conversation with the owner. She wrote in Chinese where I should go to look for an electronic translator I asked her about. I still feel in an exploring mood even though Lee is still in Hong Kong, so I get another taxi and try my luck.
Ten minutes later I’m back at this huge electronics store I bought my scanner/copier/fax machine at. The first floor seems to be the size and style equipment I have in mind. I ask a few sales people but none say they speak English. A young guy appears and speaks a little English. He tries hard to help. I’m standing in front of a section of external hard drives with him and he flags down a woman to help. I get them to understand what I need and I’m told to wait here. A few minutes later she appears with a box of software to put into your PC or laptop. It’s nice I tell them but I can’t put my computer in my pocket. Off she runs again, coming back with one translator in her hand. Now you are close I tell her. I need one that talks too. Again I’m told wait here. She runs away to return with another one, just one. This is better but won’t connect to my computer to download. I finally have to tell her, how about if I follow you to wherever you go to get these things and I can save you a lot of running. She puts her hand to her face in surprise, and says very good idea. Another hour of haggling and comparing and I decide on one. It’s similar to the one I bought and returned in America just before I came here, but most of these buttons are in English. I said most, not all. I have a lot of practicing to do. It was also ½ the price of the other one and came with USB cable and nice ear buds, as well as rechargeable batteries and charger too. I’ll get back to you on this after I get more familiar with the controls.

Click here for next part. http://my-china6.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home